Re: [tlug] Looking for Summer Internship in Japan

> accounting in the hope of escaping programming altogether.  According
> to him, programming is considered (seriously) one of the ten *worst*
> jobs in Japan now (by young people entering the job market)!  Low pay,
> unpaid overtime, no ability to take time off, working seven days a
> week on some projects, etc.  He says companies have been increasingly
> using Chinese and Indian programmers (cost factor), with a shift away
> from Chinese programmers to Indian ones.  I'm not a programmer myself,
> but over a few beers with my programmer friend, the picture he painted
> was exceptionally bleak...

Hi Lyle. Yeah, I hear that very often. I don't recommend any non-Japanese
people to do their internship in Japan in IT industry if they want to learn
something good. Most of them are still doing things in old ways. Talking
about offshore development, I hear the salary of Japanese programmers
is pretty much the same or even less than Indian or Chinese counterpart.
I read 2 channel, and see a bunch of posts lamenting over his life - long
working hours and a small salary.

I have been programming for 3 decades and am still surviving. I work with
foreign clients quite often and they helped me to survive. Japan has
nothing to do with my survival after all. Japan will turn you down instantly
if you are over age no matter how good you are. Japan sucks but Japanese
food rocks so I want to stay.

-Yoshi