Re: [tlug] VirtualBox with Wndows XP in Thinkpad x240 running kubuntuubn

On 02/09/2015 03:11 PM, CL wrote:
> On 02/10/2015 01:17 AM, SCHWARTZ, Fernando G. wrote:
> "<your_intended_user_name_ 2_run_VB_under>" = ...
> 1. The Debian (host) user name?
> 2. The WIN (guest) user name?
> 3.  The VBox guest machine name?

Indeed, I'll be more precise. Let's say you have root, "user1", "user2",
"user3", etc registered users on your Debian host machine. For the ones
you'd like your USB inside VirtualBox to work, please add them to the
"vboxusers" group created by the package during installation.

> And yet, the USB keyboard and mouse have always worked.  It's the USB
> headset, camera, and USB drives that don't.

Whatever your current situation, if indeed you're not part of the
vboxusers group, you're going against a VirtualBox installation basic.
For the distros I'm most familiar with (Fedora, OpenSUSE), that step is
done manually when pulling the packages from the distro repositories.

In fact, let's say in the case of OpenSUSE, latest shipping, if do not
add youself to the group, uncomment the lines, USB support under VB sure
not to work. Did this myself just last week.

Do you have an spare drive so you can plug to your current hardware,
deploy a clean (host) install and follow the VirtualBox standards for
your distro? I don't know if you already tried that...

Looking forward to your comments.