Re: [tlug] Dell M3800/Ubuntu

On 1 February 2015 at 15:26, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 31, 2015, at 16:14, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:
>> is currently asking $A3,699, and for me that's about $3k too much. For
>> now I'm sticking with my 5yo Compaq CQ61, on which I blew $699.

> Ouch! The US price still wouldn't put it in-budget for you, but my calculator says I paid about A$2300 for the base model, ordered direct from Dell. They also have a refresh of the XPS 13, which will be available with Ubuntu sometime in February. Don't recall the base price on that one.

The price differences are typical. They call it "market forces" and we
call it "gouging".
It even happens with downloaded software packages, where they can't even
pretend there are transport costs. And if you try to use a US site they detect
your location and switch to inflated $A prices. Small wonder people use VPNs
and remailing companies, even if it can much up warranties.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University