Re: [tlug] Shell Basics: Dealing With Filenames And Arguments With Spaces (was Re: Representing a Space in a Path)

>  > Please show a minimal example that demonstrates the problem.
>
> I don't have an example offhand, but trying to scp a file and then
> open it in a single shell function took a long time to get "right",
> and I think there may still be some bugs in it.

I remember having a similar problem, trying to write a bash script to
execute bash commands on a remote server, over ssh. There were bits I
just couldn't get right, and at the point I gave up, I had split the
script into sections. At the end of each it would tell the user to ssh
in and run some commands, then come back and run the next script :-(

The breakthrough for me came when I started using
https://github.com/phpseclib/phpseclib  and now I can write all my SCP
and SSH commands in a PHP script and not have to worry about escaping
anything. This was great for me as I was already using the PHP APIs for
Amazon and Rackspace.

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!