Re: [tlug] Representing a Space in a Path

On 01/14/2015 01:12 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:33:47PM +0900, CL wrote:
There is probably a simple answer to this, but I am not finding it in my
Unix User's Guide:

How do you represent a space in a pathname?

Responding to Scott's reply simply because it offers the best chance to address everyone's comments at one time and in one place.

Thanks to all who replied. The problem is that I wasn't correctly applying the correct meaning of "escape character" thus was not getting the intended result ... only the result I was incorrectly asking for; but at a very efficient, high rate of speed. You've gotta love the ability to make the same mistake so many times in such a few seconds.

Escape it with a backslash. My CentOS-6.6 (and FreeBSD.10-1 will do this if
I use tab completion.  I go ls Virtua (and hit tab) and get

ls VirtualBox\ VMs/
This worked.  New trick for old dog.
See if the backslash works.  Otherwise, try quoting it.  All untested by me

But usually with a VBoxManage command, you don't even need the path just
the filename, Again, untested but I believe you can do

VBoxManage modifyhd WIN7x664.vdi (and maybe not even use the .vdi part)

(Or just cd into the directory and run the command there.  :)  )
I had tried to use modifyhd without the path before writing to the group and it didn't work on Debian 7.7. Once I learned to use escape characters in the right way, I was able to cd to the correct level and run the routine from there.

In case anyone is interested, the correct way to re-save and resize a virtual HDD in VirtualBox and VM Ware is covered very well right here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/124622/how-to-enlarge-a-virtual-machines-disk-in-virtualbox-or-vmware/?PageSpeed=noscript

As noted there, and several other places, you can only resize a dynamically allocated disk, not a fixed size one, but you can copy a fixed size image to a dynamically sized disk from the GUI before resizing, and it gives you a backup of the original if you blow up your new toy.

The directions for starting in Gparted.iso worked on the first try.

--
CL