Re: [tlug] Amusing Cranks

> The point was that I don't feel qualified to talk about the ins and
> outs of TCP/IP performance tuning, but I was very bothered by the form
> of the original request (which is closer, for arbitrary metrics on a
> delay-prone network in the sphere).

Time to calm down, now, Stephen. The secret to happiness is to ignore
the things in life that bother you, and let other people answer them :-)

Darren

P.S. The question was successful, as I got the answer I was after, from
two different people, and saved myself two hours and a few dollars doing
the ping experiments myself. I also asked about bandwidth to give
someone the chance to tell me that Singapore is theoretically better for
latency but during office hours the pipe does not have enough bandwidth
to meet demand whereas the U.S. pipe is always fine (for example). If
someone had answered that way then I know the decision of which is
"closer" is complex, might depend on the application, and might need
more careful study.

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!