Re: [tlug] VirtualBox with Wndows XP in Thinkpad x240 running kubuntuubn

On 12/26/2014 01:14 PM, rost52 wrote:
Configuration:

Thinkpad x240
Hardware
4 - Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.1 0GHz
3.0CBoFRAM

Software
Kubuntu 14.04
KDELibs Version: 4.1.3.3
Qt Version: 4.8.6
Kernel Version: 3.13.0-43 generic
OS Type: 64-bit

Virtual Machine
In side x240 kubuntu machine runs as a virtual machine
Oracle VirtualBox 4.3.10_Ubuntu r93012 with Windows XP/SP3
VirtualBox is English
Extention Package is installed
Guest Addition is installed
USB 2 support is checked
MS XP is English with Asian Languages Support Package

Unsolved problems:
- Cannot change to a Japanese keyboard. The key layout indicates that an English keyboard is used.
  >>> I tried to get an keyboard driver for XP and the x240 but could not find one

- A USB stick attached to the x240 is recognized by kubuntu but not by XP inside the VB. This is
crucial element because I need to attach a HW into an USB slot of the x240 to run a SW under XP; SW
is not available for a newer OS than XP.
  >>> Could not find anything in the VB manual or oversaw something.

Any hint in solving the problems are highly appreciated!!!

Regards,
Reinhold

Okay, so the short story is that:

Your Host is Kubuntu 14.04 amd64
Your Guest is WIN XP i386?

You want to have E<->J switching in WIN XP? Or, is there more to the problem than that?

If the above, have you set up your switching choices in XP?

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Regional and Language Options
Click on the Languages tab
Click Details
Click the Settings tab
Select your main input language (US English?)
Under Installed Services, you should see English and Japanese. If not, click Add and select Japanese from the list You should see EN and JP in the box. If not, you may need to reboot and return to this page. If you use English input, you need to make sure you see "Microsoft IME Standard 2002" under the Japanese keyboard Click on the Language Bar setting and check the first and third boxes in the list Click on the Key Settings button to set the keystrokes to switch between language input
Click the Advanced tab.
Click "Extend support of advanced text services to all programs"

Reboot.

You can fine tune what you see on the language bar and how you set your input though Language Bar setup.

HTH.

--
CL (Debian Wheezy 7.07 + Virtual Boxes with XP, WIN 7 i386, WIN 7 amd64)