Re: [tlug] Cinnamon had crashed

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 02:13:18AM +0900, Brian Chandler wrote:
> Thanks for all the help. "Little" things like the comment about ubuntu
> repositories really help.
>

> This box is quite old, and I have had a few sporadic problems like just
> not booting, so I might replace it. Is this the time to find the
> crap-free window manager I so crave. Do I have a want-list? Not really,
> more a Don't-want-list.
>
> Words not blobs
> No transparency, anywhere
> No shades of grey, particularly tasteful ones. In fact the more tasteful
> the more I do not want them.
> No clever replacements for text configuration files
> And everything else that is not part of Modern Computing Solutions.

The dwm window manager is pretty simple, but it's actually a C
configuration file--you then recompile it (which takes about 3 seconds, it
is a tiny program--that 3 seconds is literal, by the way, it's really only
a few seconds for compilation.  I have a page on it at http://srobb.net/dwm
which has a link to a better page on the Debian forums.

Openbox is another nice, pretty lightweight manager. It uses xml files. I
have a page that covers it slightly, at http://srobb.net/fluxopen.html, a
page that is more aimed at fluxbox users.

Also, please don't top post.  On this list, we try to maintain inline
posting with proper trimming.  See
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php
and
http://howto-pages.org/posting_style