[tlug] Connecting wifi to cable internet?

The mission I accepted was: "Give the in-laws wifi". It should be as
easy as plugging in my Buffalo wifi router into the single LAN socket on
the back of the Saitama Cable Network box, cycle the power and good to go?

Nope. And this one has been really confusing me; I log into the wifi
routers admin screen and run the diagnostics:

   cable: OK
   DHCP: OK
   DNS: OK.

But then it is supposed to say "success" and instead it just says
nothing. I.e. it fails to connect to buffalo.jp.

In fact, DNS *is* working perfectly. I could type (from my own notebook,
connected via wifi):

  dig @210.196.3.183 dcook.org

and it comes back with a reply. (That DNS address I got out of one of
the router screens; I could also see DHCP had given it a 10.x.x.x
address). But the rest of the internet is completely unavailable, and
just times out. Just in case port 53 is the only one open (?!) I tried:

  dig @8.8.8.8 dcook.org

but that fails too. In case I had some bad settings left over, I reset
the Buffalo router to default settings (and chose to have iFilter off).
But that didn't make any difference (BTW, the wifi side network is now
on 192.168.x.x instead of 172.16.x.x).

I'll call SCN tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone had experienced
fun like this before?

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!