Re: [tlug] Cinnamon has crashed

Brian Chandler writes:

 > OK, well a working computer produced a whole screed of plausible looking
 > stuff, but the problem computer basically just says
 >
 > Local loopback

That probably means that the boot sequence is sufficiently corrupt
that your network isn't being configured at all.  Unfortunately, I'm
not familiar enough with Ubuntu (I gather that's what you're using) to
be able to guess what might have gone wrong, or what the right way to
fix it might be.

If you know what the IP address of your computer used to be, you can
do

ifconfig <iface> <inet-addr> netmask 255.255.255.0

and then you should be able to ping other machines with similar IP
addresses using numerical addresses.  If you can't, the probability of
a hardware issues jumps dramatically.  (If you don't know the IP
address for your computer, you should ask the network admin for a free
address -- you can inadvertantly cause quite a bit of mischief if you
use the same one as another computer on the network.)

Once you've done that, you can probably bring up the network by
setting a few routes, but that still doesn't explain why your boot
process is so broken that you don't have a network.

I still think a boot/install disk is the way to go.

 > Sorry, don't know a way to copy the actual text without using a pencil.

smartphone with camera?

"I am still not joking." -- Dave Barry