Re: [tlug] Cinnamon has crashed

On 2014-09-17 16:09, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Brian Chandler writes:

  > Yes well. A couple of weeks ago I had odd problems when using the
  > memsource editor -- cursor up and down keys behaving erratically
  > etc. Swapping keyboards etc had no effect. This may or may not be
  > relevant, but this morning it was just "Cinnamon has crashed. Would
  > you like to restart?" and restarting just cycles through this.

Sounds like hardware failure or a hacker attack to me.

  > So I tried to reinstall it; got a (root) terminal somehow, but all
  > of the apt-get type commands I found as possible solutions
  > failed. I get lots of messages:

No boot/install disk?  Tsk, tsk.  There should be one around somewhere.

  > pinging a number gives:
  >
  > connect: network unreachable

go to your terminal and type "ifconfig", and "route -n".

OK, well a working computer produced a whole screed of plausible looking stuff, but the problem computer basically just says

Local loopback

Sorry, don't know a way to copy the actual text without using a pencil.
I do have problems with cats playing with the wires ;-( ... how would I know if this is simply a physical connection problem? Thanks for help...

Brian Chandler