[tlug] Cinnamon has crashed

Brian Chandler writes:

 > Yes well. A couple of weeks ago I had odd problems when using the
 > memsource editor -- cursor up and down keys behaving erratically
 > etc. Swapping keyboards etc had no effect. This may or may not be
 > relevant, but this morning it was just "Cinnamon has crashed. Would
 > you like to restart?" and restarting just cycles through this.

Sounds like hardware failure or a hacker attack to me.

 > So I tried to reinstall it; got a (root) terminal somehow, but all
 > of the apt-get type commands I found as possible solutions
 > failed. I get lots of messages:

No boot/install disk?  Tsk, tsk.  There should be one around somewhere.

 > pinging a number gives:
 >
 > connect: network unreachable

go to your terminal and type "ifconfig", and "route -n".  (There are
more modern versions of these based on the "ip" command but the man
page sucks; I have no idea how it will behave in a network-challenged
environment.)

This should look similar to other linux boxes on your LAN.  If you
aren't worried about the potential security implications of publishing
internal network information, you could post the results here (for
fastest response).  If you're middling worried you could send them to
me (but remember mail on the Internet is readable by pretty much
anybody while in transit).