[tlug] Cinnamon has crashed

Yes well. A couple of weeks ago I had odd problems when using the memsource editor -- cursor up and down keys behaving erratically etc. Swapping keyboards etc had no effect. This may or may not be relevant, but this morning it was just "Cinnamon has crashed. Would you like to restart?" and restarting just cycles through this.

So I tried to reinstall it; got a (root) terminal somehow, but all of the apt-get type commands I found as possible solutions failed. I get lots of messages:

Failed to fetch .... this and that
Could not resolve (things like) security.ubuntu.com / archive.ubuntu.com

This was in response to:
apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing

These domains are reachable from another computer on the LAN, but oh look I see that on the problem machine ping returns "unknown host". And pinging a number gives:

connect: network unreachable

So I guess there is some low-level problem with the network, but have no idea where to start on that. Help!

Thanks for any suggestions
Brian Chandler