Re: [tlug] GPL question (again!)

Hi Josh,

On 2014年09月08日 18:32, Josh Glover wrote:
> Let's say that some company has a piece of backend software with a
> REST interface. Let's also say that some idiotic developer stuck a GPL
> notice at the top of some of the source code files, despite the fact
> that no GPL code is linked in. This source has never been distributed
> in any way, nor have the compiled binaries. The binaries have only
> ever run on servers belonging to the hypothetical company for which
> the idiotic developer no longer works.
>
> Can the company legally remove the GPL notice from the source files?

The copyright holder(s) of the software can relicense it, given unanimous
approval from all copyright holders.  All subsequent versions of the
software will be under the new license, while prior versions remain under
the GPL.  Since the software has not been distributed, this should not
pose a problem to the company.

Disclaimer: While I am reasonably informed on intellectual property law, I
am not a lawyer, and this should not be considered actionable advice.

Cheers,

Travis