Re: [tlug] (off-topic) Unlimited data plan (mobile internet access) in Japan

On 31 August 2014 09:56, Drew Poulin <poulin@example.com> wrote:

> I was in a bind, so I paid the 1,500 yen/3 days they were charging.

That's actually extremely reasonable compared to what most European
carriers or Wi-Fi hotspot providers would charge. I seem to remember
getting a card for a hotspot service that was something like 3 euros
an *hour* a couple years ago in Dublin. And I know the short-term 4G
pre-paid cards here in Stockholm are really expensive.

> As I recall, they have a fairly reasonable (~500 yen) fixed monthly rate.  The speeds were good, as you’d expect of WiFi.

Now *that* is a fantastic deal! I really miss Japan; I pay around 6000
yen here for bloody 24 Mbps down / "2" Mbps up (meaning 0.6, of
course) DSL. :(

Cheers,
Josh