Re: [tlug] Smart phone vs Tablet: app on sd

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
When connected via USB, the nexus 7 and other Android devices
can be mounted via MTP, i.e. using 'simple-mtpfs'.
Timestamps are broken, but the following works reasonably well
for me: rsync -rv --size-only /mnt/store/src /mnt/nexus7

Yes, I tried it already, but it is quite slow, and needs a physical connection.
Night cronjobs cannot work overnight, therefore.

Wifi/BT become useless, if I need a computer near my tablet.

For me, Google made a wrong choice: having an app restriction instead of user one.

I would like my tablet to be a computer, Google decided decided it won't.
I would like to use my software, Google decided only its software is secure for SD (but
allows a full write on internal SD, much more dangerous than external SD IMHO).
I would like my media to have user permission, instead of apps ones (as now multi-user
is "supported").

Maybe this could change, however, when they understand that 100% cloud is not
a solution; when other players with different customers will offer an alternative, for
instance.

Breaking apps is breaking the Android ecosystem, somewhere (just a personal opinion,
don't take it as an affirmation). I have currently on my tablet a notice to install KitKat.
It comes every 3 hours, I cannot disable it, only disable.

My tablet is not mine. It belongs to Google/Samsung: They can do what I cannot (beside rooting)

br.

A colleague found an further solution for the 'not enough storage
on the tablet' issue: there are now boxes sold with a harddisk
inside, a battery and a wlan accesspoint.

cheers,
Chris

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.