Re: [tlug] Smart phone vs Tablet: app on sd

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:24 AM, steve <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 08/18/2014 09:46 AM, Raymond Wan wrote:
>> An app developer once told me that Android no longer allows apps to be
>> installed on the SD card.
> I think it depends on the phone and maybe the android version.  I used
> AppMgr III
> (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&hl=en)
> for a while but got rid of that phone because it had too little memory.
>   The app couldn't move google's snoop-ware however.
>
> There's an article at
> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/3466195/move-data-from-android-phone-sd-card/.

What was the context of what I said?  Oh, right.  I asked an app
developer if they could make their app install on the SD Card.  Or, at
least, install on the phone but enable the "Move to SD card" option.
They told me that Google has recently (this was about a year ago)
disallowed apps from installing on the SD card.  Nikolay's point (back
in the other thread) about SD cards being "floppies" is correct, but
if your phone is >2 years old and has only 400 MB of internal space,
then I'll take floppies over being "forced" into buying a new phone...
:-)

If you include the apps that cannot be uninstalled and space hogs like
LINE, then there really isn't much space left.  I *think* when you
upgrade an app, it seems to briefly require triple the space (i.e.,
the space for the download, the space to unpack the app, and the
installed app that you are overwriting).  When you have little space,
you start to worry about things like that.

There are instructions on moving apps to the SD card.  This one uses
the "adb" program, but I can confirm it works:

http://techgage.com/article/moving_your_non-movable_android_apps_to_an_sd_card/

Just a bit tedious...

Ray