Re: [tlug] [OT] Phones in Japan again

Darren Cook writes:

> Then I swapped the t-mobile SIM into the unlocked Docomo phone and still
> not a sniff of internet, i.e. no data connectivity at all.
>
> So, as far as I can tell, the problem is not the Orange SIM, but that
> the Docomo phone is only unlocked for voice and SMS, and not for data.
> OR, I'm missing some configuration of the phone?

To get data you need to configure an APN. Phones have a built-in
APN list for major MNOs, but Japanese phones probably only have
the Japanese APNs. It might be slightly different on your phone
(depending on version/vendor customization), butgo to

Settings-> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks ->
Access Point Names.

Press the (+) icon in the top right (you might have to press
the menu button of the phone if you don't see one) to add an
APN. You can probably find out the values you need to enter
for your MNO on the Internet, or easier from the settings
screen of a working local phone. Make sure you save the APN
(the UI is a bit weird), and select it after saving. You
*should* get data, unless the provider is filtering by IMEI
to let only phones they sold connect (or using some other
lockin method).

HTH