Re: [tlug] Recommendation for router

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Stefan A. <stefan.a@example.com> wrote:
It seems my current router has reached that point in its life where
connection problems become too frequent and weird to be a coincidence,
so I figure it's time to start looking for a replacement.

I bought an Asus RT-AC68U at Yodobashi camera earlier this year: http://bit.ly/1rvCiZr

Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that has:
 (1) native English menus (i.e. no need to hack/flash firmware)

The menus can be all set up in English (first question in the install process) and it works perfectly with my FLET's Hikari Next connection.

I didn't particularly like the Asus stock software, so I've replaced it with the latest OpenWRT for it, just to get some extra nifty little features and more control via the command line, and because of some Snowden-induced fear of random "easter eggs" in the default software.

Installing it was a painless process, but if you don't need the extras, the stock works good enough in English.

 (2) is of decent build quality

The build is plastic-y (not as good maybe as Apple's more "solid" Airports) but it's good enough. I find it a tad light (weight wise), especially with all Ethernet ports connected (they pull the router a bit) but it's definitely not a concern.

 (3) has decent WiFi range and speed + anything else that would be
nice to have when finally making the switch to Hikari down the road :)

The WiFi range and speed are *EXCELLENT*, and the three external antennas can be positioned so that it can cover pretty much any space.

As I said, I'm using this with Hikari, and it's super fast, no noticeable latency both on ethernet (3ms to Google) and wifi (less than 4ms).

It's a great router, I'm really happy about it, and best of all it's available at Yodobashi (so maybe at Bic and Yamada, too).

As an extra feature that I really needed, it supports PPPoE pass through (both stock and OpenWRT). I use it in conjunction with my SoftBank Femtocell (coverage here is non-existent, that'll teach me to live in a little reinforced concrete hut, with built-in Faraday cage) and everything works just great (no more need for an extra switch between the Hikari GePON and the router).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I hope this helps!

Stefan

Pier