Re: [tlug] High-quality pan-CJK typeface from Google+Adobe

> I am quite excited about a new font!  It is released under the Apache 2.0
> license, has unified coverage of Japanese, Korean, Simplified, and
> Traditional characters, and it has seven weights!

I'm sharing your excitement. Seven weights is serious luxury for the CJK
world :-)

Does anyone happen to know how exactly Apache License applies to fonts,
and in particular with logos:
  a) If you use the glyphs as part of a logo, possibly manipulated;
  b) You use a single glyph as the entire company logo, unmodified.

I've included a trimmed clause 4 from the license, below, but it doesn't
really answer my question. (Could "prominent notice" be a comment
embedded in the PNG or SVG file that stores the logo? The problem is
that web optimization pipelines often strip those comments. And what
when the logo is printed out as a company letterhead.)

Darren

---------------------

4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work
or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without
modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the
following conditions:

You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a
copy of this License; and

You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
that You changed the files; and

You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices
from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not
pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and

If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file ...[it doesn't]...

You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and may
provide additional or different license terms and conditions for use,
reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or for any such
Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use, reproduction, and
distribution of the Work otherwise complies with the conditions stated
in this License.