Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

SCHWARTZ, Fernando G. writes:

 > Quickly today, quoting some Wikipedia here (go there if you need
 > additional context):
 >
 > " In summer 2012, several Linux distributions have moved Btrfs from
 > experimental to production / supported status, including SLES 11 SP2 and
 > Oracle Linux 5 and 6, with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 2. "

Post an empty patch generated by diffing Oracle btrfs against any
kernel.org-released (ie, in a numbered and tagged release) btrfs, and
then I'll take Oracle support for Oracle btrfs (and probably limited
to Oracle-qualified hardware) as evidence that in general btrfs is out
of beta.

 > Being myself a fan for a while now, on my cheap, hybrid HDD + Asus
 > stuff combo from Yamada Denki, apart from the notion that you have
 > to manage the snapshots not to full choke your root FS every few
 > weeks (auto snapshots every software change), very happy with
 > performance and the absolute slew of great features.

Recommendations from a fan and Wikipedia articles are irrelevant to
beta vs. production status.  For best results, leave it as a
recommendation from you, with perhaps a note that Oracle is willing to
provide support for it (if you pay for it).