Re: [tlug] Static linking (try it at home!) [was: kernel update snafu]

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Travis Cardwell
<travis.cardwell@example.com> wrote:
> On 2014年06月20日 20:18, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
>> May be, may be not. I am ready to pay anyone few beers who can compile
>> (static) current sleuthkit and related libs (64bit is priority, but
>> take 32bit as bonus):
>> http://www.sleuthkit.org/sleuthkit/download.php
>>
>> I tried for an hour or so and gave up. It is something I use for work
>> occasionally, but I hate to be carrying a bunch of LD_PRELOAD with
>> me...
>
> Ah, the joys of libtool.
>
> $ cd /tmp
> $ tar -zxf /path/to/sleuthkit-4.1.3
> $ cd sleuthkit-4.1.3
> $ ./configure
> $ find . -name Makefile -exec sed -i "/^LDFLAGS /s/-static/-all-static/" {} \+
> $ make
> $ find tools -type f -executable -exec file {} \;

Good! That moved me quite closer to the target! Thanks, Travis, I
guess I should be coming to the next nomikai then...

 $ file tools/fstools/fls
tools/fstools/fls: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1
(GNU/Linux), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.16, not stripped

I'll try to run it on few obscure systems for test.

The process failed later apparently, but that is because I didn't have
static versions of the required libs (cppunit, zlib, etc). Working on
that now...

export USE=static-libs;  eix -IC app-forensics --only-names |xargs
emerge -Dtuv --newuse
(it will probably fail at some point, but this doesn't matter, rinse, repeat)

Kalin.