Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Brian Chandler <brian@example.com> wrote:
>> On 2014-06-09 22:10, Jim Breen wrote:
>> being 15MB, it simply does nothing. How would I get a clue whether this
>> is because it really only runs on "Official Vanilla Unity Ubuntu" or
>> what? (If I were a Debian user would using something notionally only
>> available for "Ubuntu" be harder? Easier? Impossible?)
>

> Unlike Travis, I encountered the same problem you had.  It does
> absolutely nothing.  I ran the latest version on both 14.04 and 12.04
> with no success.  My guess is that it requires something to run and it
> is silently failing with no error messages.  You should probably ask
> the developers.  At the very least, they should add an error message
> in their program.

run it through strace and see what it tires to do and fails.

>> Since there is a Memsource version for Ubu 10 and 12, I chose 12,
>> thinking it closer to Mint 17. But should I think Old Better?
>

> Since they are statically linked:
>
> MemsourceEditor-4.151-ubuntu-12.04.run: ELF 32-bit LSB  executable,
> Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped
>
> (someone posted this already), it shouldn't matter.  Besides the
> above, I noticed [1] that it makes use of 32-bit libraries.  Though it
> is statically linked, I wonder if you need to install the 32-bit
> libraries?  Even so,  I would expect there to be an error message...
> Anyway, it is strange and you may have to ask the developers.

AFAIR, you cannot statically link glibc. So you'll need 32-bit glibc.
Basically if you can run other 32-bit software you should be fine.

Actually it uses bitrock installer so there is a thin wrapper around
another executable.
http://bitrock.com/

Try `./MemSourceEditor-3.140-ubuntu-12.04.run --help` for options.
It tried to run in graphical mode, but dialog box was hidden
initially, so it looked like it stopped.

It said it installed, but actually failed (there was uninstall file only).

Oh boy... people have invented packages for this exact reason. (My
first job about 18 years ago was writing a "custom installer" in VB...
I hated it).

Kalin.