Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On 2014年06月19日 00:29, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Hey, TLUG!  We really ought to get back in the habit of installfests.
> Now that we always have good net connections, it's even possible to do
> most of the necessary work on a tower box in somebody's home from the (assuming
> they know how to set up sshd reasonably securely).

With so many folks carrying around powerful laptops these days, how about
doing a VM InstallFest: teach how to install Linux into a VM as practice.
 While this would not cover (the most important) topics of getting
non-standard hardware/software working, it might at least give people
confidence in basic installation skills.  (Practical consideration: it
might be wise to setup an Apt-Cacher NG local proxy, loading the cache
before the event, in order to make the installation faster as well as
significantly reduce network usage.)

> If as you say 10.04 is installed on a different partition, then
> possibly all you need to do is change the default boot command (which
> specifies kernel and root partition) in grub.conf (which lives in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf on my non-Ubuntu systems, one is Debian though so
> probably Ubuntu is the same).  If that file doesn't make sense to you,
> feel free to post it here (it's not very security sensitive).

Changing the /boot/grub/grub.conf configuration file directly would likely
result in a change that works for a short time and is then lost with a
system update (anything that changes that file, such as a new kernel).  On
most distributions, one does not change /boot/grub/grub.conf directly; on
Debian, change /etc/default/grub instead, and then run `sudo update-grub`
(as documented in the file comments) to apply the changes.

Cheers,

Travis