Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) issues

On 05/07/2014 08:03 AM, Stuart Luppescu wrote:

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 09:29 +0200, Josh Glover wrote:
Never touch a working system; it'll save you many hours of pain and
suffering.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I never touch the Gentoo system I use for
accounting and POS for our business. It's been running for about 4-5
years now. But then, a few weeks ago, I thought I should update
OpenSSL because of the heartbleed vulnerability. (It turns out it was
too old to even be susceptible.)

When I tried to update OpenSSL it told me my profile was too old and I
couldn't do anything except query the package database. It was too old
to even update the profile. I think the only thing I can do is
completely rebuild the system from scratch -- not an option.

You have to do an incremental portage upgrade[1].

Edward

1. http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/snapshots/