Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:14:15AM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:
> TeX is really troublesome ... no arguments there!  Maybe because of
> the existence of LaTeX, documentation of TeX on the Internet is
> minimal (in comparison).  I wrote one or two TeX macros in my life but
> gave up...

I think that TeX is at least as well as documented as LaTeX -- it has in fact a
most definitive documentation in the form of Knuth's TeXbook. It does not only
explain TeX in a systematic manner but even contains exercises.

It is being published by Addison-Wesley, but the TeX source is freely available,
although you're being explicitly asked to not compile it from the source (also,
the source contains a booby trap that makes compiling it another 'exercise').
Its compiled form can be found on the internet nevertheless.

So, I do not see why the in comparison lower volume of writings on TeX should
prevent you from becoming as proficient as in LaTeX, given the documentation's
high quality.