Re: [tlug] Chess is dead (OT)

On Mon, 19 May 2014 12:25:50 +0200
Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:

> Oh, by the way, maybe my wording was not good. "Dead" was maybe a wrong
> translation of the French "mort" (which is slightly different from
> "end of life" in usual speaking).

Hmm. I think "senescent" is the word you are looking for.

> Example: Checkers is dead with my words (you could write a poor
> algorithm that would win
> any human).

That's another thing altogether. A game may be *solved* (which would be the correct word here), but until you can solve a game from any given state you may still learn something from it.

Heck, even when completely solved, a game could still teach you futility. ;) [1]

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo