Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> I did not say it is not good. Wordperfect was not a bad product, and
> sick people are not good nor bad.
> My term was "dying" (which is also very different from
> "disappearing"). I should find a better
> word, but none comes in mind. What would be the correct word for a
> game like chess which
> would have less and less players in a near future ?
> Please note that, even for chess, my feeling is different from current
> facts (http://www.chess.com/news/fide-statistics-chess-is-on-the-rise-3367).

"Dying" is fine.  I understood what you meant.

Again, you should give LaTeX a try.  However, if your belief that it
is "dying" and thus not worth your time to learn it, then it is more
of a loss to you than a loss to the LaTeX community.

Likewise with chess...

>> You might ask, "Who cares?".  Well, one big part of communication is
>> presentation.  Ask anyone who writes a CV and spends the extra time to
>> make it look nice.
>
> If you have to send it in Word format, I don't see how it could look "nicer":
> The relative beauty of a document is the one of the weakest element in
> a chain. Having A -> B -> C transformations cannot have
> C making more beautiful documents than another written directly written in C.

Let's not change the topic here.  If you have to send a document in
Word, then you send the document in Word.  It's that simple.

What I said was that LaTeX presents nicer looking documents.  Replying
to what I said with a "If you have to send it in Word format..." is
changing the topic.

Do a Coke-style "taste test".  Write a one page document in Word and
another in LaTeX.  Print them out and tell your friend to shuffle
them.  Then, try to guess which is which.  You can!

Now, if your answer to this challenge is, "But what if I wanted to
make a shopping list...", then my only response to you is this:  It's
far easier to make excuses about why we can't do exercises tonight
than to do the actual exercises -- the latter will help your body more
(we all know that; but we still pick the first option).  With all the
time you spent writing in this thread, I think you could have learned
some of the basics of LaTeX (unless you're a very fast typist).

>>> By the way, what it the official format in CERN (which I consider an elite too,
>>> and inventor of our current web)?
>>> If you work in an university, you surely exchange a lot of docs with
>>> them, and know
>>> what they prefer to use internally.
>>
>> Why would you think that CERN is at the centre of the academic
>> universe and anyone who works in academia must work with CERN?
>
> I never said that they are at center of anything. I was asking if some
> of academics
> have relations with others (CERN came to my mind, as it is quite a
> famous institution,
> but you could choose any other one), to try to understand what is the
> current trend now.

1)  "what is the official format of CERN"
2)  "if you work in an university" ...
3)  ..."you surely exchange" ... "with *them*"

Ray