Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

>>  > Perhaps it's time to reconsider git?  I
>>  > actually backed off from it because it kept a copy of the entire respository.
>
> Is it the case? If yes, this would be a stopper for git solution in
> another thread (finding duplicates in some
> directory trees).

Git hashes each file (that exists now, or has existed in the past), and
creates one file per hash code.

(So it can detect duplicates in the directory tree; but you could
achieve the same by just writing a script to run md5sum on every file.)

For backup, if you always push your git repositories off-site, then you
could exclude your .git sub-directories from your own backups, to save
space. The off-site repository gives a lovely strength-in-depth to your
backup policy. (But think through the security implications.)

Personally I don't do that, and just back it all up, .git/ and all. It
means I'm backing up roughly 2.5GB for every 1GB of real files. I just
bought a USB3 1TB external hard disk that was priced at 6.5yen per GB,
so I can take that :-)
(I don't put my movie or photo collection in git, and also exclude large
static data sets.)

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!