Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

> Am I the only one who cannot write LaTeX here?

No; I think the only people who ever learn it are academics who are
forced to, because the journal they submit to only accepts latex. And
most of those will use lyx, or write in some other format and just
convert at the end.

(Emphasis on *learn* it; of course once you know it, and have got the
huge tool chain installed, then maybe you prefer it for its flexibility.
They tend to also think emacs is easy to learn, and factor large prime
numbers in their head, just for fun.)

Just from very narrow personal experience, publications asking for latex
are getting fewer. In the other direction, the places accepting markdown
is growing most rapidly. Then once they start accepting markdown they
seem to quickly be switching to pushing that as the desired submission
format. It converts to everything else, while very cleanly separating
content, layout and collaboration (the latter is done with git in the
places I know of).

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!