Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

On Fri, 16 May 2014 09:18:22 +0900
Travis Cardwell <travis.cardwell@example.com> wrote:

> When one does not have to worry about
> Microsoft compatibility, perhaps by exporting to PDF for sharing, the
> software does indeed seem to be a contender in its own right.

Hmm. Yes, it can't be helped. I am about to ask what probably is a really stupid question. Seriously, this question might be so dumb that people might faint from sheer incredulity.

Here goes. Is it at all common for simple text documents to be collaborated upon?

Still with me? Good. Here's why I ask: I can get spreadsheet collaboration. I can somewhat get slide show collaboration. But text documents? Aren't they usually started by one person, finished by the same person, and then passed on *as a final product* to, well, whomever?

Sure, I suppose filling forms is an exception. But that's what PDF form elements are for. If you fill a form by editing the form itself, you're doing it wrong[1]. You make the form, export it as a fillable PDF, and then pass it on.

I suppose another exception would be when one person is doing the logorrhœa, another is doing the proofreading, and a third is doing the design and formatting. But then I don't see why anyone but the third person would have a need to use a word processor[2], as the first and second person aren't concerned with anything but the text itself. A simple text editor would suit them.

I am obviously lacking some insight here. Would anyone care to set me straight?

[1] Well, as far as there can be a "wrong" and a "right" way for these kinds of things. I supposed unintended/intended or inelegant/elegant would be better choices of words.

[2] Not even the third person, really, as I would expect a place with dedicated layout artists to use something less pedestrian, such as a DTP program or a typesetting engine. But that may just be my personal prejudices talking.