Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade?

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Raymond Wan writes:
>
>  > Yes, true.  If you work in a small IT company, you might get away with
>  > it.  But if you work with others who aren't in IT (i.e., human
>  > resources, etc.), it is hard to get away from Windows.
>
> Don't I know it!  Even IT ... the last 5 recommendations I wrote for
> US/Europe CS or ICT graduate school applications were all submitted
> electronically -- and the options were Word (all 5) or PDF (3/5).
> Makes me want to cry....

Perhaps I'm just getting out of touch with the field, but when I was
studying CS, the department tend to use Unix and the computer science
club (if there was one) was openly promoting Linux via installfests.

Now, I'm coming across a different set of universities (notably in
Asia and not North America) but Windows seems more and more popular as
the platform for undergraduates (and even academic staff).

> If you want to be like everybody else, I think you go Apple.  Wasn't
> it Travis who pointed out that "being fashionable" is one of the big
> attractions of Apple products for Japanese? I know my Chinese students
> all say that to Chinese iPhones are major status symbols (but not so
> much Macs, interestingly enough).

That applies to Hong Kong, too, though Samsung is coming from behind fast...

Ray