Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade?

Raymond Wan writes:

 > Yes, true.  If you work in a small IT company, you might get away with
 > it.  But if you work with others who aren't in IT (i.e., human
 > resources, etc.), it is hard to get away from Windows.

Don't I know it!  Even IT ... the last 5 recommendations I wrote for
US/Europe CS or ICT graduate school applications were all submitted
electronically -- and the options were Word (all 5) or PDF (3/5).
Makes me want to cry....

 > > You'd need a dictator to iron out all the differences.
 >
 > Indeed, differences are great; but it makes it difficult for someone
 > from the outside trying to get into the Linux world.

I guess, but it's not obvious to me that somebody who isn't explicitly
looking for differences would want to get into the "Linux world"
(leaving out fields like web apps and supercomputer OSes where Linux
is the leader acknowledged by everybody but a few diehard MSFT fans).

If you want to be like everybody else, I think you go Apple.  Wasn't
it Travis who pointed out that "being fashionable" is one of the big
attractions of Apple products for Japanese? I know my Chinese students
all say that to Chinese iPhones are major status symbols (but not so
much Macs, interestingly enough).