Re: [tlug] "How to"

Bruno Raoult writes:
 > On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

 >> For two files in the same directory that have the same content but
 >> different names,
 >>
 >>     git cat-file tree `git cat-file commit HEAD | grep tree | cut -b 5-` \
 >>     | sort -f 3 | uniq -D -w 52
 >>
 >> (untested; probably requires GNU uniq).  To handle recursion is
 >> (recursively ;-) left as an exercise for the reader.
 >
 > If files are in the same dir, why using git?

There's no restriction to a single directory, it's just that in a
single directory a one-liner can be used.

 > You offered a solution (that I did not test) using git. I am sure
 > readers will propose alternatives. And this was the target of the
 > question: which solution would be the best for such a requisite?

"Best"?  Depends on lots of things.

"Good"?  Sure -- git is a highly optimized application for tracking
and comparing the contents of files.  I happen to know a bit about
extracting the information you want from a git object database.  git
would be a lot more reliable than coding the algorithms myself.

 > Let say another way:

What makes you think I didn't understand the first time?