Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

Travis Cardwell writes:

 > > AFAICT Google (GMail) is now doing a very good job of filtering spam
 > > -- including spam from your "friends" with Yahoo! accounts (that seem
 > > to be rather incompletely defended from spammer hacking).
 >
 > Very insightful: that kind of "spam" was what she disliked the most!
 > Filtering did not solve the problem, however, because lack of
 > participation is anti-social.

I don't understand what you mean by "lack of participation"?  I'm
referred to the ongoing background radiation of real spam from Yahoo!
(and AOL) by botnets of suborned accounts.  Surely failing to
contribute your account to a botnet isn't anti-social in anybody's
mind?! ;-)

 > Powering on the machine dims the lights in my apartment, by the
 > way.

Powering on the rice cooker dimmed the lights in my old apartment, and
you had to do the laundry in darkness.  Dimming lights just goes with
the territory....

 > In hindsight, I consider my purchase of a Mac Pro a significant
 > mistake.

It's funny, the only machine I ever had that kind of problems with was
a ThinkPad, and they were *just* infrequent enough that the support
people consistently (and successfully) resisted the idea of replacing
the whole machine.  My wife swears by ThinkPads, so I've had plenty of
experience with ones that "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'" too.