Re: [tlug] OT: falling intake

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 05:15 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Darren Cook writes:

  > And is it just graduate recruiting, or are fewer 18 year olds also
  > going to university in Japan now?

For graduate school, it's worse.  Both the absolute number and the
percentage of the population going to graduate school are dropping,
while the Big 3 (Todai, Kyodai, and Handai) have taken advantage of a

Sorry to jump into such an off-topic thread, but I have this article bookmarked which might be of interest:

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110420/full/472276a.html

Title of the article is "The PhD Factory".

Of course, this article is from 2011 (already 3 years out of date) and is about science and not economics (what Stephen is talking about?) nor computer science.

There's a section for Japan, but I think the article as a whole is sort of interesting.

Ray