Re: [tlug] [OT] email client tips?

> I am currently using Thunderbird ...

One of the delights of moving from Ubuntu to Mint/xfce, for me, was that
Thunderbird was the default mail client; so I no longer needed to
uninstall Evolution and all the tendrils it had tied into the OS.

> * I have been unable to get line-wrapping to work well, despite
> attempts to configure it in the "advanced" config editor.  When
> composing a new message, lines are wrapped in the editor, but lines
> of a paragraph are joined together when the email is sent!

Are you composing as HTML then?
Edit|Preferences has options to say you always want text. (If you can't
find it let me know.)
(BTW, in Advanced tab of preferences, general tab, config editor gives
you a Firefox-style about:config screen; useful when you just cannot
find something.)

I actually have the opposite irritation: when I ctrl-S a message it
does the line-breaking. If I then go back and edit a paragraph I have to
join lines together. (Then press Alt-E, W, to reformat.)
(I'd rather it didn't break lines until I actually send.)

> Thanks to the (stupid) way that Thunderbird manages quotes (">"
> characters are not enough), one cannot simply cut-and-paste content
> to/from an editor when replying to a message.

ctrl-shift-O pastes in with quotes. Is that what you mean?
(When I want ">>", ">>>" to show who said what in a conversation, I
hilight the quoted paragraph, ctrl-X, then ctrl-shift-O, and it comes
back with an extra set of ">".)

> [1] I have wanted to stop using GMail...

I have this (traditional POP) account, as well as a gmail account (done
as IMAP), as well as a couple of test POP accounts, all set up. It works
nicely, and I can drag emails between accounts when necessary.

Are you using thunderbird with your gmail account as IMAP? I find it
fine, except I tend to press ctrl-S regularly, and with the gmail
account it blanks out for a couple of seconds to do a network save. And
then my phone beeps to tell me I've a new mail. (But I realize that is
definitely a case of one man's bug is another man's feature.)

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!