Re: [tlug] IMEs in Mint?

Stephen A. Carter writes:

 > That "Windows until 1994" bit -- for me it was definitely "from," not
 > "until." Up to then, Intel-based hardware and OS were always easily
 > purchased separately,

Whatever -- that is the date (actually, 1995 when the judge signed
off) when "per shipped processor" pricing by Microsoft was prohibited
in the U.S.  I don't know what terms Microsoft demanded in this
country offhand.

 > and for the OS I usually chose IBM's DOS/V or PC-DOS

You mean the code that IBM source-licensed from Microsoft?

 > (once or twice with Windows 3.0 or 3.1 also purchased separately
 > and installed atop the DOS) -- though there was also a ThinkPad
 > 701C I bought that came with IBM's OS/2 preinstalled

You mean the OS/2 that IBM developed jointly with Microsoft?

I'm pretty sure that in all cases mentioned above royalties were paid
to Microsoft.