Re: [tlug] IMEs in Mint?

On 05/04/2014 02:20, Benjamin Tayehanpour wrote:
Look, I haven't denied any of that. I'm merely saying that the means
are there for anyone to use. Sure, there may be things hindering you
from doing anything about it, but those hinders have to do with you
rather than with the owner of the code, as is the case with closed
source.

http://xkcd.com/1349/ comes to mind.

Seriously, if the owner of the code makes something easy and user-friendly into something difficult, the fact that I can technically and theoretically do something about it doesn't magically negate the fact that the owner of the code made an annoying decision.

I'm sure that "to change this setting, learn the codebase, fork the project and recompile" demonstrates perfectly the Platonic ideal of open source software, but the fact that you consider that an appropriate attitude to real-world user experience may explain why Linux desktops didn't really catch on.