Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals

The following reminded me of the discussion here, about paper quality
and the quality of peer review:
  http://stats.stackexchange.com/q/92213/5503

I remember commenting to the author of a computer science paper that his
stats was so much more solid than most papers in this field. His reply:
"Ah, that's because I'm a physicist" :-)

> Now, it's almost reached a point in bioinformatics where we don't know
> what we're looking for...so let's throw it into a piece of software
> (i.e., a machine learning algorithm for example) -- it tells us which
> genes out of the thousands that were examined are interesting in a
> statistically significant way, and then we write a paper about it.

There does seem to be a paradigm shift in the way science is done.

Darren