Re: [tlug] OT: Blu ray writer a(and region free)

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:42:35PM +0100, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Mattia Dongili <malattia@example.com> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:31:21PM +0100, Bruno Raoult wrote:
>     > Please try to answer my initial question (which is more about blu-ray)?
>
>     BD computer drives should all be region free. Locking is done via
>     software. I never had any problems reading region A and B here in Japan
>     (they at least advertise region B and also, none of the drives I have is
>     USB).
>

> This is good information. You mean that the BD software, embedded in the drive
> (and locked to region),
> is not useful at all. Please confirm, as this was my only question.

no, the video player software. Say VLC or mplayer. Not to open a can of
worms but I would have called "firmware" the one "embedded in the
drive".

Anyway, the only reliable way that I know to play BDs with Linux is by
buying MakeMKV.
Last time I tried (and from archlinux's wiki things don't seem to have
changed much) the process of playing BD videos with free software
involves a lot of wine and chasing BD IDs and keys.
As for writing BDs, the drive should just appear as usb attached cdrom
writer using the scsi interface (i.e. using usb_storage and sr_mod),
i.e[1]:

   usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci_hcd
   usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0e8d, idProduct=1956
   usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
   usb 2-2: Product: MT1956
   usb 2-2: Manufacturer: MediaTek Inc
   usb 2-2: SerialNumber:
   scsi6 : usb-storage 2-2:1.0
   scsi 6:0:0:0: CD-ROM            TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506AB  TS00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
   sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
   sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
   sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
   UDF-fs: Partition marked readonly; forcing readonly mount

>     With all that said, this discussion is a bit OT and imo dragged its feet
>     for too long already. Feel free to reply offlist if you need any more
>     specific information.
>

> I don't think this is OT. At least the initial question. You have videos (BR
> from Japan and other countries), you want to read
> these videos on your Linux system. If this is OT, I will not understand.

The region-free bit of this discussion (which is 9 out of 11 messages so
far) is what I'm referring to as OT.

[1]: http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/2014-02-02-samsung-se-506bbtsbd-external-blu-ray-6x-writer-6x-dvd%C2%B1r-dl-usb-2-0
--
mattia