Re: [tlug] Open Access Journals

Raymond Wan writes:

 > Yes, but it is really difficult to control since IEEE is based in the
 > USA and this conference in question is based in China.

Are you talking about ICNC-FSKD?

 > Has IEEE in the USA met the conference organizers in China?
 > Probably not.

What makes you think that?  Certainly in economics when an
international association delegates to a local affiliate (and allows
them to use the association name) the association officers do know the
various chairs and co-chairs (conference, program, local arrangements,
total of 5-10 individuals in most cases).  I would be surprised if it
were different for the IEEE, but I have no direct information so you
tell me.

 > Are we not considering IEEE as the publisher?  I guess if we are
 > picky, it may not be.  The publisher is (usually for IEEE material)
 > "IEEE Press" and one could argue that it is a separate, sub-entity of
 > IEEE.

I wouldn't think of them as "publisher" in the same sense that
Springer is.  The IEEE's publishing activity is a natural outgrowth of
its activities as a professional association, combined with the size
that makes it practical to self-publish.  But it's a professional
association that happens to publish, not a publisher that happens to
have membership of tens of thousands of professionals.

What we mean by "publisher" here is a business model, ie, an entity
providing printing and distribution services as a business, *separate*
from the professional organizations that provide editors and content
to the journal.  Those are the folks who no longer seem to have a
raison d'etre in academic journal publishing.