Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM, [SCA] SCHWARTZ, Fernando G.
<fgs@example.com> wrote:
> Raymond,
>
> On 03/18/2014 10:09 AM, Raymond Wan wrote:
>> Just because it's funded by tax payers doesn't mean any tax payer can
>> do whatever s/he wants with it...  Someone still looks after it and
>> manages it.  I mean, I'd like to see you use the same argument for
>> publicly funded universities, research institutes, hospitals, or even
>> the mayor's office.
>
> I didn't say that.

No, you did not.  What you did say was, "In the original situation,
the people's wall. That was a public library." and my point was that
this isn't quite correct.

The library *is* paid for by the people but it doesn't mean the people
say how it should be run.  Some policies will agree with some members
of the public and others will not.  And oddly enough, it may not
always agree with the majority.

> And yeah, I've been to places now and this Japanese library thing was a
> first to me. My common judgment tells me that I could walk in to a
> public space, sit there and use their precious chair and 1 square meter
> of table space without disturbing anybody or preventing others from
> doing the same by repeated use.
>
> Not dwelling on this as was clearly not expected for a place like Japan.
> As said, I'll seek some clarification next time. Let's hope there is a
> good one. I would keep dreaming that Japan is that advanced society that
> I one day could live in.

Well, it seems obvious that you really don't understand what some of
us have been trying to say.  Some of us agree with you and others
(like me) don't; you are probably doing what I sometimes unconsciously
do which is choose whose opinions to listen to and skip all others.
:-)

I cannot speak for anyone here, but I think it is safe to say for
those of us who aren't Japanese, we've all experienced something about
Japan that shocks us -- you aren't the first!  You either look at it
in a positive way since you have found out something that you never
would have if you never went to Japan.  Or, you look at it negatively
and dwell on it.

IMHO (emphasis on "my"), if it bothers you that much, you really
should consider another place that might be more to your liking.
After you leave, you may realize that Japan, for all its flaws, isn't
that bad after all.

Ray