Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On 18 March 2014 13:48, [SCA] SCHWARTZ, Fernando G. <fgs@example.com> wrote:

> Bottom of this was next morning feeling really bad for taking that
> "sumimasen" approach and leaving without some sort of argument.

I hate to say it, but as a resident of Japan for four years, I would
classify this as "entitled gaijin" behaviour that reinforces the image
of foreigners as barbarians. Rules and social conventions are
different in different countries, and by mapping the privileges
granted by your local library to a certain library in Tokyo, you're
overstepping a bit, I'd say.

I think the right way to change a policy like this is to take it up
with the local library first. They may give you an explanation that
you consider acceptable, such as "it would cost us x yen per year in
electricity if y people use laptops, and our yearly budget is only z
yen", where z < x * 100 or something like that.

Failing that, you escalate. But you don't hassle the poor security
guard, methinks.

Cheers,
Josh