Re: [tlug] Locking an HTML Doc

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> open the file and I want anyone else who opens it to also see the same
> fonts, graphics, and layout -- e.g. I want it to play the same on any
> machine that can parse HTML ... like it does when I send .pdf to
> machines that can read Adobe portable formats.

PDF files aren't perfect.  I've opened a few where a character was
missing or something.  Usually, embedding all fonts into the PDF file
solves this type of problem, but I've seen quite a few PDFs with
problems.  I'm not sure if you would call this a bug, though.

> Is there a way to add instructions to lock my file so it can only be
> viewed one way, like a .docx, .odt, .pdf, .wcx .... nado, nado, even if
> it means appending font files or something even more space wasting.
> I've Googled, but I haven't put together a set of terms that results in
> an answer I can

As others have suggested, you probably can't rely on the export
feature of libreoffice alone and have to hand-tweak the generated HTML
file.  One thing that you might want to consider is to use a CSS file
that is located on a web site you manage (i.e., instead of sending the
CSS file).  That's the closest I can think of to what you would like,
but it isn't locking in the same sense since someone could still mess
with the CSS.  But you're not asking about "locking" for security
reasons; you want it trouble-free for a client who presumably won't be
playing with the HTML file in an editor.

One advantage is that you'll still send one HTML file to them; but
they'll need to be on-line to have the CSS loaded.

However, each browser and each browser version will still render HTML
files slightly differently.  So, you can't escape from that, I'm
afraid.

Ray