Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo (and battery stores?)

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014, at 13:41, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> There are more free ones than that list suggests, at least in Tokyo.
> The ones at Family Mart and Tokyo Metro stations mean you typically
> don't have to trudge too far.

Thanks to everyone who responded.... this was very helpful (and to those
who are continuing the thread.... it's about time you changed the
subject line...I don't think I've ever seen a thread go so far OT for so
long with the same subject :=)

I'd just like to compulsively reconfirm this: there's free wifi at *all*
Tokyo Metro stations, and Family Marts? Someone else mentioned Yamanote
line.... free wifi there too?  I wonder how much I really need to worry
about security when using those, if I have a good firewall.... :=\

> I'd also consider a mobile data-only SIM (which are available to non-
> residents, because nobody has noticed VoIP calling yet) if you need
> ubiquitous connectivity.

Something I forgot to mention in OP which could have saved several
people some keystrokes is that I am an absolute dinosaur when it comes
to mobile tech. I don't have a sumaho.... the handset I use at home is a
6-7yo clamshell-with-full-keyboard-inside type (CDMA, I think).  I'm
renting a cheap cell phone in Tokyo, for voice calls, but will not want
to pay for a data plan or what-have-you (I've never bought a data plan
in my life :=)

So while I recognize the security and ubiquity benefits, I'm not ready
to go there yet... some day.

Now, another question to add to the thread: my laptop battery is
actually not doing too well lately.... any advice on stores (prob.
in Akiba I'd guess), that sell new or reconditioned batteries for
old laptops for less than an "ude to ashi" would also be much
appreciated (don't have any reason to think such stores exist, just
testing the wind...)

Dave

p.s. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad X61 Tablet, btw, if that makes any
     difference :=)