Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On 13 March 2014 17:51, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>> One I only encountered recently was the special nature of the Japanese
>> soil that makes it dangerous to bury power cables.
>
> If the "special nature" they meant was that it doesn't stay in one place
> very well, they may have a point. :-)

As opposed cables strung between poles?

It came up in the context of people in new-towns wanting
their power underground. It was one of the reasons given
why they had to have overhead cables, despite plenty of
non-Japanese examples of u/g cables being safer during
earthquakes.

[Of course, all those amakudaru-staffed companies producing
concrete poles, insulators, etc. are nothing to do with the case.]

Jim

[Our 別荘 has underground power, mainly because of fire
risk.]

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University