Re: [tlug] Packet loss: How much is normal, and who should I talk to

Just thought I'd post the resolution (?) to this in case anyone's interested:

Reading the mtr man page properly, I learned that what it's doing is creating packets with short TTLs on purpose, so packets getting dropped along the way is kind-of the whole point of the tool. So it was showing me some generally high latency (not ideal, but not necessarily disastrous) but not some kind of huge networking fail, and was probably unrelated to our intermittent problems.

This left me right back where I'd started, but then one day something at the Rackspace end had the grace and good sense to crap out completely instead of just going on the blink intermittently, with similar effects (connections apparently coming and going OK from some ISPs but not from others, but not limited to USEN) and we got a full-on outage for 90 minutes or so, finally acknowledged on their status page, and they fixed it and we haven't had any problems since.

--
Edmund Edgar
Founder, Social Minds Inc (KK)