Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Claus Aranha <caranha@example.com> wrote:
> Definitely anedoctal, but that was not my experience. I left Japan one time
> back in 2010 (I got better :-P), and turned in my softbank phone at Narita,
> "right before I left".  I don't remember whether I contacted them in advance
> or not, but it is (was) definitely doable.

Thanks for this; sorry, I should clarify what I said.  My provider was
Docomo and this was in late 2011.  Fortunately, I asked them
beforehand so it wasn't like I got a big surprise at the airport.

I did know of friends who left a few years prior who were under KDDI
and they also had to hand it in in the city.  But yes, I guess it does
depend on provider and when (they can obviously change their policies
over time).

And indeed, I casually asked them about it beforehand, but didn't make
a "booking" before I cancelled my contract.  They did it on the spot.

Ray