[tlug] SOLVED: Re: Vietnamese Dvorak?

With some help from the guys in the VietLUG forum on Facebook, chiefly NgĂ´ Trung - maintainer of ibus-bogo - this is solved.

Yeah, Google says to try scim-unikey, but nothing tells you anything about how to get it into Dvorak or what to do when it doesn't work :-) Trung gave me a patched version of /usr/share/ibus/component/unikey.xml that makes it work with a Dvorak layout. I also found that for some reason, some packages (including scim-anthy) had gotten uninstalled (not by direct action of myself, I suspect some dependency-related thing) and that Japanese input was also broken (hadn't used it in a couple months, so who knows for how long).

After re-installing the needed packages, it would work but only in the Ubuntu search lens. All apps were a no-go for both Vietnamese and Japanese input. Finally, after a number of restarts of scim, it just started working. I hate those "phantom fixes" where I really don't know what the final thing was (had changed nothing before that last scim restart; it was just desperation <g>), since it did work, I'll take it :-)

One thing that I was never able to make work was just adding "Vietnamese" from the list of available text input methods in Ubuntu. If you find yourself in need of VNese input, I'd suggest not even bothering with that and going straight to scim-unikey. I hear that bogo-unikey is better, but the docs are not yet translated to English and it's possibly not yet fully ready for prime time - available only in source form from github. I've come to like the stability and reliability of using only Ubuntu packages and rarely use even PPA packages. When I do, I only draw them from stable, active PPAs, so I'm not going to be compiling the ibus-bogo code anytime soon but will hope it gets included in Ubuntu or comes to a solid PPA.

Lazily yours :)

Jonathan